Hosted by The Broke and The Bookish
I usually hesitate reading hyped books because more often than not, they tend to disappoint. Same is true with movies, by the way. So here are my top 10. I may (or not) read them in the near future but I’m not really holding my breath.
- Fifty Shades Trilogy by E.L. James – Can you say super hyped? This made BDSM and erotica become mainstream and I still haven’t read it. The worse thing about it is, my non-reader friends HAVE READ IT! I started to read Fifty Shades of Grey and I stopped after 3 pages. The writing was horrendous and after the reviews that I read, I am definitely not reading this. And yes, I haven’t seen the movie. But I have listened to Gilbert Gottfried read Fifty Shades and it’s pretty hilarious. Oh and George Takei.
- Grey by E.L James – So this was just released and it is super hyped because it is supposedly Christian Grey’s POV. From the backlash that I read, it was not what the fans were expecting. So yes, add this to the list of books that I am not reading. Oh, and there’s supposed to be two more of this sh*t! Oh, and that hashtag.
- The Secret by Rhonda Byrne – I don’t really read non-fiction and I believe this classifies as non-fiction, self-help? Anyway, I heard a lot of good things about this book – that it is supposedly life changing and all that. Well, I hardly read self-help books and I’m not really a fan of those either after I read How I Kissed Dating Goodbye (this one is a whole lotta crap), I have steered clear from these types of books. Another sad thing (or good thing?) about this is, my non-reader friends have read it!
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert – Another non-fiction book that took the world by storm. Yeah. I keep hearing the Dog Days song and seeing Julia Roberts in my mind because of the movie based on this boo. But despite all the pomp, I still haven’t picked up this book. And based on the reviews, I will probably forgo this one. Oh and yes, I also haven’t seen the movie.
- The Time Traveller’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger – This is a best seller and I saw the movie (eh didn’t get it) but it really didn’t make me want to pick up this book.
- The Princess Diaries by Megan Cabot – I saw the movies, I love the movies, I’ve heard a lot of good things about this book. But I haven’t read it. I’m not sure if I would ever read it but maybe with the newest book out, I may!
- The Giver by Lois Lowry – I saw the movie and it sucked. Big time. Hubs and I didn’t like it at all. So, I may not eve read it.
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs – Another book that I heard lots of good things about this one! They said it’s in the Harry Potter vein so this should be interesting.
- Paper Towns by John Green – I have only read one John Green book and I loved it. But I don’t usually read this genre so I will be passing this up.
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon – I love the series but I just couldn’t pick up this book.
Did you have any books that made my list? If you’ve read any one of those mentioned above, which do you recommend I read first? Leave them in the comments below.