Hosted by The Broke and The Bookish
The last few years have seen an increased number of dystopia books – especially Young Adult! That is mostly the genre that I prefer when reading YA so I have read quite a few. I may not be a dystopian expert BUT if ever the apocalypse is knocking at our door, I may be persuaded to teach an Apocalypse 101 Class.
- Be an expert archer. I mean, how else can you catch game or defend yourself? When there is an apocalypse, knowing how to use a weapon is key to survival. Book rec: The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
- Trust the rebels. We all know that when the apocalypse comes, the government as we know it is over! There will be dictators and presidents with hidden agendas so the rebels are THE people to trust! Book rec: Legend series by Marie Lu (review).
- Be an expert mechanic. Because, well, what else would be your hobby? Plus, this may be the only way to meet a prince! Of course, knowing how to fix droids and robots is a must! Book rec: Cinder by Marissa Meyer (review).
- Ask help from a decorated officer. Well, if ever you get stuck in an uninhabited planet, that is! And definitely, when he is such a hottie! A decorated officer can help you and protect you from harm and aliens, of course! Book rec: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner (review).
- Be different. Well, if you are THE ONE, then you are different. aren’t you? Well, your singularity may be the thing that can save the world so don’t hesitate to make yourself known when you are the one! Book Rec: Divergent by Veronica Roth (review).
- Don’t forget your gown. A girl needs gorgeous outfits when it’s the end of the world, right? Book Rec: The Selection series by Keira Cass (review).
- Don’t trust rebel camps that are TOO perfect. Because chances are, that it is just too good to be possible. Obviously, being vigilant and wary to new, seemingly established communities because chances are, they have a hidden agenda. Most often geared toward world domination! Book Rec: Reboot by Amy Tintera.
- Don’t trust your parents. If you think that they will keep you safe through the worst of the apocalypse, think again! They also have hidden agendas! Above all, trust in your self. Book Rec: After the End by Amy Plum (review).
- Use your powers for the greater good. Well, just because you are the one doesn’t mean that you wouldn’t have powers too! Avoid the government at all cost (see item 2) because they will use your powers for evil! Book Rec: Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi (review).
- Watch your DNA. During an apocalypse, people will use anything to their advantage – even your DNA! Don’t allow yourself to be tested because it almost always ends up in prison – for you, that is! Don’t forget to guard your blood at all costs! Book Rec: Uninvited by Sophie Jordan (review).
- And if all else fails, START PANICKING!
Well, can you survive the apocalypse?! I think I would! Do you have any Apocalypse 101 tips for me? Share them below!
Leslie H. says
Hi! I’ve only read the Hunger Games on your list, but I agree that a great outfit would be important if the world were ending. 🙂 Thanks for the suggestions!
Leslie H. recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: YA Contemporary 101 Syllabus
Of your list, I’ve read The Hunger Games which I loved and Divergent which I enjoyed but definitely didn’t love as much as The Hunger Games. Cinder and Shatter Me are both books that I want to read.
JJ recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday #19