One of my favorite tropes is reunion romances and A Match of the Century by Cathy Maxwell was going to be that. However, I was hugely disappointed. I really tried to soldier on and finish the book, but I just couldn’t do it! I finally gave up at 79% and decided to just let it go and mark it as DNF.
What did not work for me
- I did not like Elin at all! She wasn’t a strong heroine for me and that really sucks. One of the things I really love about historical is the strong women, but this one just didn’t cut it.
- Elin is a TSTL heroine. She just made mistake after mistake and also acted like she was too good to be true. She was also too naive for me. [spoiler]I mean, I could smell the stink on that dressmaker from a mile![/spoiler]
- The hero, Ben is another one. I did not like him at all. He was too martyr-ish and he just did not appeal to me at all.
- Everything that happened was just too convenient. From the time the carriage was attacked to the time when [spoiler]she found a pub with Ben inside! ahhhh[/spoiler]
- The plot was too slow. When I stopped at 79%, there was no relationship development between Ben and Elin. I understand that they were friends when they were younger, but they had drifted apart. As adults, I wanted there to be a reestablishment of their friendship.
I’m not really sure why this book just didn’t do it for me but if you might try this and let me know what you think. Definitely, read this if you like reunion romances.