After reading (and being blown away by) Reboot, I immediately started listening to Rebel, the second book in the series. Again, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it to a point where I did not want the book to end!
What I loved about it:
- The characters were complex. We all knew the characters from the first book. Well, we get to know more about them in the second. New characters are introduced and I feel that these were equally important to the progression of the plot and not just some random background characters.
- Action and female badassery. I love my female badassery and when there is a book that writes it really well, well I can’t complain about that, can I? I enjoyed Wren’s strength and at the same time, I enjoyed her vulnerability. Her insecurities were age appropriate and her actions were believable.
- Evil Villains. There are three baddies in the story and I loved how different they were and how they were finally defeated in the end.
- Duology. I love that the series was a duology in that the story wasn’t too drawn out and prolonged just to get more $$$ (I’m looking at you The Mortal Instruments) from the readers and fans. And although I did not want it to end (see below), I am still glad that there was a resolution and it did not feel too abrupt.
What I did not like about it:
- It had to end. Of course, all series end but with this one, I felt like I wanted to know what would happen to the characters when they rebuild after the war.
THOUGHTS ON THE AUDIO
Narrator: Khristine Hvam & Mike Chamberlain
Again, I didn’t have any problems with Khristine Hvam as the narrator. Mike Chamberlain added to the whole experience since he voices Callum 22.