Welcome, Historical Romance lovers and new historical romance readers! Welcome to my very first Historical Romance Reading Challenge! I decided to embark and host this challenge because the historical romance is my guilty pleasure and my all-time favorite genre.
However, since I started reading Young Adult, I have started to read historical romance less and less! THE HORROR! So for 2017, I am challenging myself and I am inviting everyone else to join in! You don’t have to be an uber fan of historical romance, to join. In fact, I welcome newbies and readers who want to try historical romance for the very first time!
For this challenge, my goal will be to be a Duchess and read 36 books! I also want to challenge myself and read at least one book in these categories: Regency Romance, Victorian Romance, Historical Romance with a Diverse main character.
Hopefully I will be able to reach my goal for 2017!
Interested yet? See below for all the deets!
How To Join
- The challenge runs from January 1, 2017 – December 31, 2017 (books read prior to 1/1/2017 do not count towards the challenge).
- Anyone can participate at any time. All you need to do to sign up is to post about this challenge linking back to this sign-up page in any of the following platforms: blog, dedicated Goodreads Shelf for this challenge, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or YouTube Channel then leave your link below so we can visit and cheer you on.
- Any historical romance novel and novella counts toward this challenge (Adult, YA, NA, Erotic)
- If you want to read other sub-genres like Fantasy, romance must be the main plot
- Re-reads and crossovers to other challenges are okay
- You can post a round-up or challenge update at the end of each month. My post will be up on the first of each month, which will include the current month’s link-up and giveaway.
- Spread the word and use #HRChallenge2017 when posting on social media, post the banner on your sidebar, encourage others to join, and have fun!
[Tweet “Love Historical Romance? Join the Historical Romance Reading Challenge! #HRChallenge2017 http://wp.me/p3n7oz-2H3”]
Grab the Badge
There are 7 levels in this challenge. Simply pick a level to challenge yourself! Let’s see who can make it to Queen!
Baroness – 1-5 books
Viscountess – 6-15 books
Countess – 16-25 books
Marchioness – 26-35 books
Duchess – 36-49 books
Princess – 50+ books
Queen – 50+ books including 1 book from each category
I included categories in this challenge because I almost always read Regency and Victorian historical romance. Adding categories helps diversify your reading (and also makes this challenge a little harder). To achieve the Queen Level, you must read at least 1 book in the categories below.
- Medieval Romance (set between 450 and 1485)
- Regency Romance (set between 1811 and 1820 in England)
- Victorian Romance (set between 1832 and 1901 England)
- Western Historical Romance (set in the frontier of the United States, Canada, or Australia)
- Pirate Historical Romance (Pirate novels feature a male or female who is sailing, or thought to be sailing, as a pirate or privateer on the high seas.)
- Historical Romance with a Diverse main character
- Time Travel Historical Romance (must take place at least 80% in the past, ex. Outlander)
- Open internationally as long as Book Depository ships
- Must pick 1 Historical Romance book of your choice up to $10 USD
- The winner will have 48 hours to claim the prize or I will select a new winner
- Must be 13 years or older to participate in the giveaway
[Tweet “Yes, I am joining the 2017 Historical Romance Reading Challenge! #HRChallenge2017 http://wp.me/p3n7oz-2H3”]
Leave a direct link of your blog post, Instagram post, Twitter post, FB post, or any social media post showing that you are participating in this challenge so that everyone can follow and cheer you on!