The last book in the Unearthly trilogy by Cynthia Hand, Boundless is supposed to answer all the questions that we may have in the last 2 books (and even the novella, Radiant). Unfortunately, it brings about more questions.
At this point, I am not sure if I should give this book 3 hearts or 4. No, don’t get me wrong but I really enjoyed this book and it was written very well by Miss Hand BUT I simply do not like the outcome. No, more like, NOT SATISFIED with the outcome of the story.
What I liked:
- I really liked the twists in Boundless. I wasn’t expecting some of it but I also guessed at the others. It wasn’t too predictable and since I re-read the whole series before reading this one, I was able to piece together some of the things that were revealed in the previous books.
- Samjeeza really showed a different side of him in this book. I really liked this twist. Despite his ulterior motives with Clara’s mom, Maggie, I thought his redemption in the end was very well done.
- Clara really showed herself to be a loyal and amazing friend. When she went and saved Angela despite Christian saying no really impressed me. I liked that even if they had a certain purpose, they still had choices.
- I loved that little flashback scene with Clara and her mother.
- There’s no place like home. I really liked that every time Clara transported, she would immediately transport to Tucker’s barn, with Tucker catching her every time. In the end, Clara would say that her home is where Tucker is and all I can say is – awwwww.
What I did NOT like:
- Tucker. Yes, there was hardly enough Tucker in this book! I mean, come on! Clara ends up getting married to him in the end BUT still – hardly enough of my guy Tucker! *sigh
- Christian. Okay, so doesn’t end up with Clara BUT it is hinted that HE MAY END UP WITH CLARA AFTER TUCKER DIES. Yeah?! Plus, I am NOT convinced that Christian reality is IN LOVE with Clara. Sure, they share a purpose/destiny or whatever but I thought their romance did not have any development in all 3 books.
- The purpose. Well, it seems that everyone’s purpose is centered on Clara’s (as I’ve said in my review of Hallowed). I mean, even Angela’s baby was part of the purpose. Angela getting pregnant with Pen’s child was linked to Clara’s purpose and I really didn’t like that. I wish that everyone HAD a different purpose even if that purpose ended the war with the Black Wings.
- Jeffrey. I still do not know what his purpose was. Why was he supposed to start the fire and save Tucker? Why did he run away? Why was his purpose NOT openly discussed in the house like Clara’s was? Well, that wasn’t answered at all.
I still have more questions but I think those thoughts come from NOT having my questions answered. I really wish that there was a “How are they now” book for this characters because I still want to take a peek into their lives, like 60 years into the future.
The last chapter shows us a scene in the future where it shows us how their future is. I did not feel resolved, though.
Boundless is also a little preachy. There is more Black Wing involvement and Church and such that I think the book HAD to be a little preachy. But I thought that worked.
I really enjoyed the whole Unearthly series. So even if I am not such a fan of angel types of books, I really loved THIS reading experience. I think I am finally giving this book 4 HEARTS!
THOUGHTS ON THE AUDIO
Narrator: Samantha Quan
Samantha Quan still delivered! I still love her narration and I appreciate that series books like these use the same narrator (some don’t). Again, as I’ve said in my previous reviews for the narrator – I love her.
Hi readers, if you found my review helpful, please vote for it on Amazon. Thank you!